Re: Pearl Jam and The Who

>My guess would be that Pete posted the MP3's because Pearl Jam was
>releasing their tour. But downloads are still deadly to those of us in the
>sticks who are not yet able to get a cable modem.

The way he's got it set up is reasonable.  If you've got 56K, then it might
take a couple of hours for each segment.  You'll need software to hold the
connection open for you, and then you just wander away and come back later
on.

>  Notice Talmy failed to get his price, so now he's negotiating with Pete.
>
>Is he? That's good news!

Well, maybe with MCA.  Here's the link to his site.  Click on the Who tapes
link for the latest bulletin.

http://www.sheltalmy.com/

> > Now I have another question about downloads.  What happens to the resale
>market?
>
>Believe me, with a used CD store it's something I have considered. At
>present I don't buy burned discs,

I imagine that what will happen is that stores will offer downloading and
burning as a service.  You'd have to pay for the download and for the
editing and burning service, but then would you have the right to resell the
cds?  I guess so, since you paid fair and square for both.

I guess individuals could do this too, and remain ethical as long as they
paid for a download for every cd set they made.  But then burning a bunch of
cds from one download and selling them would be piracy, right?  Wonder if
that's figured into the price?

Hmmm.  Come to think of it, aren't TED charging about the same as for the
average boot on eBay?

keets
keets