Denver and Smash my head against the wall

> That is quite a discussion, isn't it?  You're reminded of situations like
> cloning where suddenly science has outrun ethics.  Nobody quite knows
where
> to stand.

Keets:

It's no mystery to me. It's officially available from the band and licensed,
and must be considered an official release. There might be a question in
some people's mind about the free MP3's Pete posted, but not in mine. It's
still a release, whether free or charged for. It also doesn't matter the
format or artwork included (or not). That is the choice of the people who
make it available.

> Each show would be a double cd in stores, right?  How much did Pearl Jam
> charge for their series of concert cds?  Anybody know?

See, I was going to discuss these anyway, since I just bought four or them.
They retail for $13 per show, which consists (at least as far as what I have
seen) of two CDs. The sound quality is excellent. The performance is also
excellent. If they're still all in print (and it appears so from CDNow),
there are 64 of them. I now want the other 60...so what if it's over $800?
Imagine what the entire set will be worth in 20 years? And it would have to
be the entire set.
Think my wife will buy that argument? And they won't stay in print for long,
most likely.
Anyway, what I was going to say about Pearl Jam releasing every show of a
tour is that it tends to irritate me when we Who fans can't even get the
first album remastered or the second in stereo, and hardly ANY live material
from their 20 year career (not counting reunions). Obviously few even hard
core PJ fans are going to buy all 64 sets. And yet Epic and PJ are making
money. PJ is not nearly as popular as they were, and I can't imagine they're
much more popular than The Who at this point. Maybe a LITTLE. Maybe not. So
then why can they release this much (and not even considering how much of
the material is repeated) and we can't even get Tommy LAL or the King
Biscuit Quad show, or Tanglewood or Essen and so on and so forth? Is
Trinfold aware of what PJ is doing? Pete is friends with Vedder; one would
assume they'd have discussed this at least in passing. So why the (extremely
censored) are we treated like someone with dog breath? It makes me want to
smash my head against the wall!!
My suggestion, such as it may be, is a concentrated letter writing campaign
to all official Who and MCA addresses (I know someone on this list has them,
if they would be so kind) pointing out the PJ releases and asking why they
cannot do something similar for (at least) each Who tour. Or a live boxed
set.
It may work, it may not...but at least we will have tried.

"There's no question that the minute I got
  elected, the storm clouds on the horizon
   were getting nearly directly overhead."
George "Thank God I wasn't really elected" Bush

               Cheers                 ML