Offical word games

keets  "Since the Denver files are not issued on cd, should they be
considered to be
"in print" as long as they're available for download?  Should they be
considered to be "in print" at all?

Does the fact that Pete has posted this show with ED's (but likely not
MCA's) approval make it more of an "official" release than the free mp3s
he
(apparently) posted on his own initiative?

Does the fact that these downloads are priced make them more of an
"official" release?  Is that the criterion, or is it the fact that
they've
come from Pete/TED?  Do releases have to come from a label to be
"official?""

I think there are two things at work here:  rationalization and
competitiion.  I applaud TED for throwing a monkey wrench in the
conventional thought by offering up a ODIR (good one Scott).

Traders who want to trade this stuff convincing themselves and others
that copying and traded copyrighted material is OK.  Are they paying Pete
and John fees for the publishing?  If not, they are infringing on the
artists' rights.  So what?

The competitive side is the bitching about sound quality.  Underneath is
the idea that '*I* am the ultimate fan who really understands this music
because blah blah blah...'  We only see males get into this argument.

Both angles are bullshit.

Jeff