Re: denver download vs. audience boot

>Is there anyone out there who has listened to both?  People on the
>newsgroup are claiming that the audience boot sounds superior to the
>soundboard download because of the MP3 encoding(!).  Yet they haven't
>listened to both side-by-side and it sounds just like they're bitching
>without knowing.

That is quite a discussion, isn't it?  You're reminded of situations like
cloning where suddenly science has outrun ethics.  Nobody quite knows where
to stand.

One thing that's interesting is how quickly mp3 formats have become
outdated.  Three years ago a 56K connection was fast, but now you have to
have a 300K connection or you're completely in the dark ages.  Back then
"serious" traders were pleased to get mp3s, but now only .shn is good
enough.

Another thing is the question of whether this is actually an "official"
release.  It's curious that the traders somehow expect to use all the
advantages of digitizing and electronic transfer for their own commerce, but
expect artists to stay with the same old format, i.e. cds.  It's like TED
have suddenly encroached on their turf.

They've not quite met the standards of the trading community, it seems.  The
traders expect all the benefits from TED that they get with high quality
bootleg trades, the .shn format and cover art, but they don't want to pay
TED what they'd easily pay for an e-Bay sale.  Or, they want an
old-fashioned cd like they'd get from the store.

It's not about which recording is better, the official release or the
bootleg.  What it's about it is that traders are suddenly having to justify
what they're doing, so they're coming up with complaints about the coding
and the art, and insisting this isn't really an official release because
it's not a cd.

I think TED might be onto something here.  They seem to have thrown the
whole trading community into disarray.  Anybody want to bet they come up
with competitive formats and art work next time around?

;)
keets