Cranberry philosophy

Trust Pete to get philosophical on his birthday.  As usual, it's a little
hard to tell exactly what all he's talking about here.  He tends to cast
music into spiritual terms, so you'd suspect something related to it could
be hiding in there somewhere.  (Who was it who said songs are prayers
offered to God?  Springsteen?  I can't recall the quote.)  Pete mentions
prayer, and love, but it could very well be talent as a songwriter and
musician that he's really talking about, and how it feels to use that
talent.

If not, I'd like to offer the subject for discussion myself.  People who
have small gifts (meaning limited abilities) tend to guard them very
carefully.  It's only people who are very secure in their source who can
afford to give away what they create, especially on a grand scale.

Pete has always seemed to be a little awed at his own gifts, and what's
happened to him because of them.  He tends to cast the talent, as he's done
here, in terms of channeling a gift, or channeling some message that he has
nothing to do with himself.  Other people might see it a little differently.
  (Well okay, maybe Pete does have ego attacks, but still this is a
recurring theme, having appeared for the first time in 1969.)

Maybe Pete feels this way about himself because other people have given him
his opportunities to develop.  The whole experience pretty much picked him
up and swept him along because of something that was nothing to him.  Just
put him on stage and the songs pour out.  It wasn't until the late seventies
that the gift began to run a little thin.

You'd get the idea that when Pete wrote the songs for "Who Are You" and
"Empty Glass" he was feeling emptied out.  Nothing to say.  Recycling trash.
  Bottles of brandy and still no songs.  So he started to get guarded,
scared that the gift was gone the same way it had come, and without anything
he could do about it.

These things have to do with being centered and open.  And they depend on
other people.  No one creates in a vacuum.

Anyhow, it's good to hear Pete's feeling replenished.

keets