Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V8 #129

>Re: digest V8 #129

>	Re: Horton Hears The Who?
>	Re: The Who 2000

Hi everyone. I've posted here before, but I think I failed to introduce
myself properly, which was rude and ignorant of me. So I apologise for that.

Briefly - my name is Simon Malia, I'm 43, and I first saw The Who "live" in
my hometown of Newcastle Upon Tyne in November 1973. That was the first of
three nights - the infamous gig where the "Quadrophenia" tapes went wrong,
leading to Pete dragging Bobby Pridden out by the scruff of his neck.

Since then (and yes, I went the following two nights as well), I've seen The
Who many more times. And I would say that the gig I enjoyed the very most
was Hammersmith Odeon (London), Dec 23rd 1975. That was just soul-shaking!

Charlton 1976 and the 1979 gig at Stafford Bingley Hall were also really
extraordinary - but then, so is each and every Who gig. From my perspective,
SBE 1999 was stunning - just to see the "real" band back and bouncy. But I'd
say that by the time I saw The Who at Manchester and Newcastle on the 2000
tour, they had achieved a great blend of raw energy and stable, grooved
performances.

The only areas I really miss from the 75/76 era are the LOUD guitar sounds -
and the vocals - in particular, John's contributions. He just doesn't get
involved in this area any more, and that's sad. And I'd be lying if I didn't
say that neither Roger nor Pete have quite the range they did. Not
surprising, given their age and the years of stress and strain their vocal
chords have undergone!

But The Who in 2000 were just stunning - no doubt at all!

Oh - re "Horton Hears A Who".

Well, there's a bootleg (apparently) called "Horton Hears THE Who". A while
back (and I blush to tell this story - shows just how daft I am!), I bid on
e-Bay for what I thought was this boot. I won the bidding (at a suspiciously
cheap price!), and waited for it to arrive from the States. It was, of
course, a very nice LP - of the Dr Seuss story being narrated in a Burl
Ives-type voice!!! Oooops!!!

Still, when my daughter's a wee bit older, she's got a real vinyl album of
her very own just waiting for her ... and a LOT of Dad's Who stuff too!