Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V8 #127

In a message dated 5/12/01 12:56:20 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
TheWho-Digest-Owner@igtc.com writes:

<< heir most vital and coherent album since Who's Next..."
 >- Parke Puterbaugh, Rolling Stone on its hard album

Rolling Stone's elitist attitude helped break up Cream in 1968 after a
scathing article on Clapton's guitar playing.  The liner notes of the Cream's
box set has Ginger Baker saying Rolling Stone was Eric's favorite magazine
and the negative article contributed to the breakup of the band. Because Led
Zeppelin ignored Rolling Stone, they too, were butchered by the magazine.
Dave Marsh, a former Rolling Stone writer, who wrote a poorly written
biography on the Who, says in the Rolling Stone Rock Encyclopedia that the
Doors lacked a drummer whoo could kick out a good jam.  I don't know about
what others on the list think, but I thought John Densmore was a very good
drummer.

Rolling Stone has now hypes Brittany, the Back Street Boys, and N' Synch',
instead of some great bands from the 60's, 70's, and 80's, who are still
going strong. Jann Wenner, Editor and Publisher, of Rollling Stone, has
forsaken classic rock the same way he ditched his family for his gay lover.
The only good rock journal I know of is an English one called Mojo. America
sure could use another good rock magazine.

Jon, Los Angeles. feldmt@aol.com