Tommy

FOX  "I suddenly wondered why most fans dont consider
Tommy their favorite Who-album.
I think I know why. Most songs are so weird, special, almost
non-adaptable
for stageperformance. Not weird in a sense they are funny or ridiculous,
but
so very different to everything I ever heard in my life. Like "1921" or
'Christmas'. Composed using standard formats, but still.. Different. You
really have to listen to it in stead of just enjoy it like the raw power
of
(most) Quadrophenia.
But its just my feeling on Tommy"

It really is just not that accessible.  Comprehension requires a great
deal of attention and thought of the listener.  The themes are very
strange and camp.  The music is complex.  It is much more operatic than
Quad.

Jeff