great performance is not enough?

Mark L "Clapton has proven he's a fine performer; some of his best work is
on Roger Waters' Pros And Cons Of Hitchiking. But as a writer, he hasn't
impressed me since Derek & Dominos. IOW, I'm no fan of heroin but for
Clapton it was a good thing."

He never has been much of a writer (even on Layla), his gift has always been
in the performance.  IMHO - His playing and singing are better (sometimes)
post-heroin.  Why isn't that enough to keep him off the 'meltdown' list?

ML  "I heard a great live Rock band performing past what anyone could
possibly expect at this point, but I didn't hear any new music evolving."

You heard some old methods of performance used by the experts who invented
them.  Isn't that good enough?

Is there a new VH1 list show in the works here?

Jeff