Re: meltdown/comeback

>I feel a semantic thread coming on.

Huh?  The Who On Ice mood?

>I'll agree that they sounded similar on the Quad Tour.  I loved that
>because it was Quad, but I saw no need to attend or listen to more than one
>show as it was an attempt to faithfully recreate the original recordings.

There's a lot of variation in the shows, though.  They tinkered with the
production as they went along.  There was also a big difference based on who
was playing lead guitar.

>Perhaps we are not defining "polished" the same way, so I won't use it.

THE WHO LIVE tape really is polished, I think.  Not only does it have that
Copeland/composer sound, but Roger showed up with vibrato for the  first
time.  I don't know if people pick out the technique, but they do notice the
difference in sound.

>It is that feeling of danger that was lacking in 89.  Last year's best
>performance moments gave *me* the impression that they could loose the
>original groove of the song at any moment.  Again, that was lacking in 89
>and 96.

I'm happy to enjoy it both ways.  The structured, classical bent was a
surprise, and I'd rather have had that than a rehash of 70's sound.

>What was the topic?  Meltdown, right.  OK - we'll just agree to disagree on
>whether '89 was part of the meltdown.  Do you think The Who should be
>included on the "RnR meltdown" list?  If so, when did they melt?  Is it
>really a meltdown when they were able to pull it back together?

Nah.  Not a real meltdown.  Definitely the relationship sputtered along for
a while, and it didn't go in the direction that fans wanted, but it was
still creative.

keets