Re: meltdown/comeback

keets  "I thought The Who sounded very similar on the QUAD tour, though, and
also last year.  It's a long time since 1965, and they ARE polished these
days.  There must be something else involved in the perception.  Pete's Who
On Ice mood?  Maybe that's what was contagious."

I feel a semantic thread coming on.

I'll agree that they sounded similar on the Quad Tour.  I loved that because
it was Quad, but I saw no need to attend or listen to more than one show as
it was an attempt to faithfully recreate the original recordings.

Perhaps we are not defining "polished" the same way, so I won't use it.  I
think the shows last year varied widely and renditions of some songs were
noticeably different from one night to the next.   The loose arrangements
and small number of musicians made that possible.  This was simply not
possible in 89 or 96.  All they could really vary those years was the set
list and change vocal or solo notes a bit here and there.

It is that feeling of danger that was lacking in 89.  Last year's best
performance moments gave *me* the impression that they could loose the
original groove of the song at any moment.  Again, that was lacking in 89
and 96.

What was the topic?  Meltdown, right.  OK - we'll just agree to disagree on
whether '89 was part of the meltdown.  Do you think The Who should be
included on the "RnR meltdown" list?  If so, when did they melt?  Is it
really a meltdown when they were able to pull it back together?

Jeff