Re: New Who

> Agreed - mostly.  If they record it live, we will get the proper mix of
> rough power.  The WAY Gateway thing has a non-Who sound.  I like it very
> much, and it is suitably hard.  It just does not sound organic or
> collaborative enough for The Who.

Jeff:

What I'm thinking is if The Who go with their classic sound, they risk being
perceived as having nothing to contribute (essentially making an album for
the money, cashing in while there's still a market). If they go with a
completely different sound (like the Gateway mix), while they can still be
called for attempting to sound "young" they will at least have moved forward
and are taking risks...something The Who used to be famous for. I wouldn't
bet on the risk; I don't think Pete will chance it and I'd bet Roger would
balk as well. There's more Mike Love in Daltrey than you know.

> Ahh! So that explains your comments about conservatives and your
> "analysis" of the Presidential election.

Jim:

Not EVERYTHING I write is a joke...just most of it. However, I will grant
you that conservatives and the election are definitely jokes. On the
American people. Only no one's laughing now that the economy's gone sour.

> Do you have anything to say about The Who?

Jeff:

What are you complaining about...his quote is from someone whose mind is
gone, gone, gone (for some time, which explains a LOT!). This sort of gives
it the opposite effect than Jim intended, don't you think?

> The thing i liked about the 2 house of blues concerts last fall and the 2
> empire shows and the BTTB cd that was culled from these shows is that is
> sounded very rough and raw.

Scott P:

It worked 90% of the time. I found Pure And Easy (my favorite Who song and
one I always wanted live) to be rather mechanical. After The Fire could have
been a triumph, but it's also weak. I do wish they'd toured some before
recording BTTB, but even without doing so it's still the best live album
since Leeds.

> I did sort of like the more polished sound they got by the end of the
tour.

Keets:

That's only "polished" by comparison. I DO want their album to be
professional, just not too clean and slick.

"A lot of times in the rhetoric, people forget the facts. And
   the facts are that thousands of small businesses-Hispanically
     owned or otherwise-pay taxes at the highest marginal rate."
              George "It's the economy, I'm stupid" Bush

               Cheers                 ML