Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V8 #78

Yes, what I've seen from the 1989 tour, the Who were a disgrace. They toured
with a horn section and Pete only played acoustic guitar.  This totally
emasculated the original power of the Who. Simon Phillips is what you call
"an over-busy" type of
drummer and really wasn't up to the task, either. I did think the full length
Tommy concert in LA was pretty good, however.  Really, the Who would have
been better off if they had done what Led Zeppelin did when Bonham died, that
is quit on the spot. That would have kept their legacy intact and most
likely, would have resulted in greater revenues from music they had recorded
up till WAY.  I guess they had to keep working because they had just made a
huge investment in Shepparton Studio, in London and really didn't have a lot
of liquid assests. But still they were foolish not to consider this.  Instead
they had Kenny Jones picked out in two weeks and a 1979 tour planned out.  I
saw the WHO in 80 and they put on a good show, the problem was their studio
albums: Face Dances and I't's Hard, which both suck.  Certainly, if Townshend
used the material from Empty Glass for the Who, Face Dances would have been
something else entirely.  But that is another mystery why Townshend wished to
make that move.  I don't wish to take anything away from the legacy of the
Who, and I am thrilled they are back together, but these are my views on the
"Post-Moon Who".