Re: After an album, what? - Answer: Long Live Rock!

> I'd like to propose a topic.  Say The Who put out an album based on the
> subject matter they flirted with last summer and follow it up
> another great
> tour.  Then what should they do?  Another album?  About what?  A concept
> album?  Another rock opera?  Will studio albums still be viable for
> past-their-peak rock groups?

This is the future of The Who as I see it:

They'll release a new album to so-so reviews (around 2003), and tour for the
rest of that year.

After that, Pete will return to his favourite way of working, ie: rekindling
old ideas (as he's done for the past several years with Tommy, quad and
Lifehouse).

Remember when Stamp and Lambert first discovered The Who - they wanted to
make a film about them.  Remember the origins of Quad - it started as a
story about the Who.  It's been a continuing theme throughout their career -
the story of a rock group, being on the road, and the relationship between
the rock performers and the audience.

I predict Pete's next project will be called "Long Live Rock", and be a
double album encapsulating this theme.  Perhaps even a story arc involving
the band forming, trying to get a recording contract, getting big overnight,
being superstars, growing weary of it, the endless slog of touring, and the
final break-up (and countless reunion tours ;-) ).

The album will made up mostly recycled material, involving:

	- Bits of Quad (Pete's demos of Punk & the Godfather, We Close Tonight,
etc)
	- Much of Lifehouse (new versions of Put The Money Down, etc)
	- JAE's humorous songs about life on the road (live versions of Cell Number
7, Postcard, etc)
	- New Gateway Remix of Long Live Rock
	- A couple of new songs from Pete to hold the story/theme together.
	- A couple of new songs from John for light relief.

And, volia, a new masterpiece Who album is born.

-MB