Re: Mr. Vocabulary

>Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 13:24:45 -0500 (EST)
>From: Jeff House <jjthandmeh@juno.com>
>
>Alan McKendree "I'm an anorak for knowing this..."
>
>Websters's says:
>: a usually pullover hooded jacket long enough to cover the hips"
>
>huh?

It's British slang (any Brits feel free to jump in and correct or
amplify...).  It refers to someone who knows WAAY too much about the
little details of some subject or other.  (Most igtc readers probably
qualify, actually :-).  Comes from the British hobby of
trainspotting.  Apparently, in trainspotting you keep a written
record of every train engine you see, with the goal of actually
seeing and recording every engine in Britain.  Trainspotters
apparently became associated with anoraks because they'd be out in
all kinds of weather trying to spot another train.  So "anorak"
became a synonym for the kind of person who would do that...or who
could quote off the top of his head what Pete wrote on a picture of
Bob Pridden that was used as the back cover of a Who album.

Cheers,
--
Alan
"You inhuman bastard."