Re: Kenney vs Zak

me  "Kenney rolls where he should fill."

Scott S   "What do you mean here?  A roll *is* a fill.  Do you mean he
puts rolls where he should be playing a straight snare, bass drum, hi-hat
beat?

I mean two things:  (1)  I am not well-versed in drumming lingo (but you
have already figured that out).  And (2) KJ's standard "fill" sounds like
he starts on the tom furthest to his left (next to the snare) and takes a
linear path straight to his right until he ends with two cymbal hits.  I
realize now that is not a "roll" but a boring "fill".

When Zak fills, he does it with much more flair.

Scott S  "I bet you're objecting to Kenny's almost complete reliance on
eighth-note rolls & fills (doot-do-doot-do-doot-do-doot-do).  That is
true; he almost never made swashy 16th-note flurry rolls which Moon did
constantly.  And Kenny was not a fan of the triplet either (doodle-do).
Moon used those quite a bit, also."

Doh.  Yeah that's right, I guess.  I kind of follow you.  Moon also
incorporated cymbal hits into his sound more than KJ or ZS.  I think
Zak's sound is more rumbly than either Keith or KJ.  I mean that he seems
to be have some big, low-tuned toms and stays on those pedal basses
constantly.

It is this booming quality (along with his complex fills) that really
makes Zak the *perfect* drummer for the current Who.  John's trebly
"lead" bass sound, Pete's new found propensity to play a more traditional
lead guitar, and Rabbit getting some room in the mix to tap the piano
flourishes and B3 sustained chords means that Zak's booming (nearly
cymbal-less) sound is the perfect bottom for the whole sound.

Scott S  "Poor Kenny the farmer.  Out there in the fields.  Forced to
shoot those healthy animals within a two-mile radius of the foot & mouth
outbreaks.
I hope you're happy, Jeff."

I am happy, thanks.  The 2000 Who sound curls my toes.

Do you think Kenny is cursing Roger while he's shooting livestock and
going over his ledgers?
"300 head, in the incinerator.  Fucking Daltrey!"

Jeff