Re: Kenney vs Zak

> Kenney rolls where he should fill.

What do you mean here?  A roll *is* a fill.  Do you mean he puts rolls
where he should be playing a straight snare, bass drum, hi-hat beat?

> His rolls are nearly mechanical in their precision.

That's a fair staement.  Definitely more mechanical than Moon & Zak.
But *not* more mechanical than Simon Phillips' drum-clinic-like sterility.

> His fills are just too damn straightforward.

I understand your use of the adjective "straightforward" here but realize that
compared to a lot of rock drummers, Kenny did take a lot chances when
he played lived.  Those fills may be straightforward but he gave you a lot of
'em, too.  Live, Kenny could be a moderately aggressive drummer.

> With apologies to
> Schrade, I'll try to textize a typical Kenny fill - <dootle dootle dootlte
> dit dit>

I have no patent on "drum-speak for the internet," so by all means, use it!

> That Faces R&B stuff just does not fly in The Who.  Sorry.

I bet you're objecting to Kenny's almost complete reliance on eighth-note rolls
& fills (doot-do-doot-do-doot-do-doot-do).  That is true; he almost never
made swashy 16th-note flurry rolls which Moon did constantly.  And Kenny
was not a fan of the triplet either (doodle-do).  Moon used those quite a bit,
also.

> Zak fills and almost never does a simple roll.

Zak plays simple rolls quite often.  Eighth-note rolls usually, too (his Kenny in-
fluence!).

> He keeps it asymetrical and interesting.

More so than Kenny.  Agreed.  Zak *is* the better drummer for THE WHO.

> Sorry Kenney, Roger had every right to boff Mrs Jones and boot you out of
> the band.  Take your medicine, play the Marriott show with Roger  and bow at
> Zak's feet.  He's the master, you are a farmer.

Poor Kenny the farmer.  Out there in the fields.  Forced to shoot those healthy
animals within a two-mile radius of the foot & mouth outbreaks.

I hope you're happy, Jeff.

- SCHRADE in Akron