Thoughts on Moon

>I would say on rating the greatest rock drummer ever it would be a tie for
>first between Zeppelin's Bonham and Moon. Maybe Ginger Baker, and Mitch
>Mitchell could also fall into the level too,  I don't know.  What do some
of
>you on the list, like Schrade, think about my observations?

Cool topic.  First off, I agree with you about Quad and the critics negative
remarks about Keith's drumming on it.  Personally, I think it's Keith's
greatest studio recording - period.  The greatest of the great.  Why the
hell would a critic pan him for putting in fills where there shouldn't be
any fills???  Couldn't that be said of ANY recording of Keith's drumming if
you were an idiot critic?  But as we all know, most critics have the
intellect of a ball of lint.  As for your rating of the great rock
drummers...

I agree partially with you in your choices; every one mentioned is one of
the great rock drummers.  However, I wouldn't include Bohnam in my list as
tied for number one.  IMHO, Bohnam was a great drummer, but what makes him
always make the top of the "all time" list has nothing to do with his
drumming ability.  Zep's studio productions were superior in the sense that
each band member were captured to their personal ability perfectly.  In
other words, studio tricks and production are what made Bonzo "the best".
You really don't think that he could make that whirlwind sound like you hear
in the rolls of "Kashmir" without studio trickery, do you?  Nah...  Yes, he
was a great drummer, but not the best.  For what it's worth (and usually
less than a penny), here's my top choices for all time drummers...

1.  Guess WHO?
(the following are interchangable; only Keith has a permanent spot sewn up)
2.  Bill Bruford - technical champ
3.  Carl Palmer - for flash, raw talent and showmanship
4.  Phil Collins - I know I'll take some heat here, but I'll run this
disclaimer:  one of the greats only within 1974-1979
5.  Alan White - most underrated

Honorable mention:  Ginger Baker, John Bohnam, Chester Thompson, Mitch
Mitchell, Grant Hart.

Th-th-th-th-that's all folks...

Jim in Colo Springs

"...and he practically smashed his drumkit to pieces.  We thought - that's
the man for us."  PT