Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V8 #63

I just had some thoughts on Keith Moon. I am a pretty good drummer myself,
but what really made Kieth such a great drummer is his overall sense of
musicality.  He was like a one man orchestra on the percussion.. In the boook
Fletcher wrote about Moon he says that on some nights Moon wasn't always on
and that when jamming with non-Who members Moon sometimes didn't jive.
Entwhistle said Moon would have been a much better drummer had he ever sat
down and figured out what he was actually doing, and if he practiced more.
But I do beleive, as others have said, Moon was just a natural drummer and
could go for months without drumming and still could  return to top form
rapidly.  Although apparently it did take him longer to warm up on WBN and
WAY.

I just recently listened to the four cuts on the boxed set album from WAY and
Moon sounds pretty good to me on his final record with the Who. I think Moon
must h ave been insecure if it is true Daltrey, and possibly others, were
acutally considering replacing him towards the end.  I don't know if this
story has ever been confirmed, but it was mentioned Dave Marsh book and
alluded to in the Fletcher book.  Personally I don't think the Who would have
ever fired Moon.  And that Moon could have continued to endure the rigors of
Who touring for years to come.  Moon once said he never worried about getting
tired. He always had an extra reserve he felt he could tap into.

Finally, you know what is really horsehit is how several critics have said
Moon's playing was deteriorating on QUAD, and that he was throwing in fills
where he had no business to.  I thought Moon had a strong, resonant, creative
sound on that album. I'm curious how other members of this page feel about
that observation.

I would say on rating the greatest rock drummer ever it would be a tie for
first between Zeppelin's Bonham and Moon. Maybe Ginger Baker, and Mitch
Mitchell could also fall into the level too,  I don't know.  What do some of
you on the list, like Schrade, think about my observations?