Billy Sloan and The Who

Excerpted from the IC Showbiz site:
http://icshowbiz.ic24.com/bcelebrityworld/dfeatures/page.cfm?objectid=753910
0&method=full

Almost Famous - The Sloan Years
By Billy Sloan, Sunday Mail

I'm proud to say the first record I ever owned was the album Live At Leeds
by The Who. I bought it for 2/11d in Woolworth's in Rhyl, Wales, while at
Boys' Brigade camp.
The real catalyst for my journalistic career was when I attended my first
rock concert. The date was October 21, 1971. The place - Green's Playhouse,
Glasgow. And the band - The Who, of course.
I was just 15 and had to beg my father for permission to queue overnight to
buy tickets for the gig. They were sold from a table in the back shop of
Clydesdale, an electrical goods store in Sauchiehall Street.
After I took my seat - Row C, Seat 32 - life was never quite the same again.
I know it sounds dramatic but the concert changed my life. The music, the
lights, the volume, the crowd - and my heroes, Roger Daltrey, Pete
Townshend, John Entwistle and Keith Moon live on stage - had a profound
effect.
At the climax of Won't Get Fooled Again, Townshend smashed his Gibson SG
guitar then threw it into the crowd. My mate leapt into the fray and
wrenched off the guitar strap, while I got a couple of splinters of wood
from the body of the instrument as a souvenir.
Later, we went to the band's hotel, The Albany, and got their autographs.
Whoever said "You should never meet your heroes" was talking complete
rubbish. I've met some of the biggest names in the business.

Also from his Diary of 2000 for the Sunday Mail:
http://icshowbiz.ic24.com/bcelebrityworld/agossip/fdiary/page.cfm?objectid=9
5943&method=full

Best gig
The Who at SECC, Glasgow, November 5.
Okay, so they're wrinkly old rockers, but these guys can play. Guitar legend
Pete Townshend was really up for it and seemed to feed off the sheer
adrenalin of the SECC's 8,500 capacity crowd.
Singer Roger Daltrey's scream at the climax of the epic Won't Get Fooled
Again still sends a shiver down my spine.

-Brian in Atlanta
 The Who This Month!
 Go to: http://members.home.net/cadyb/who.htm