La Jolla Review

I thought I would throw in my two cents re: La Jolla because it seems no one
really gave a complete review of the show(s).  I went to both shows and
bought the $1000 tickets that included a backstage party with Pete after the
show.  The setlist that was previously listed seemed accurate with the only
differences in the second show being the dropping of Sea Refuses No River and
the addition of his instrumental Collings Guitar and two additions to the
encore (Driftin (blues) and Eyesight to the Blind).  Before Sea Rufuses No
River he said he didn't really want to play it and said it was kind of hard
to play, and then he ended up kind of messing it up by repeating some lines
and playing chords late.  He joked about it afterwards and dropped it from
the playlist.  His voice sounded as good as ever.  Both nights he mentioned
John Lee Hooker...the first night he played and sang a little 4 line song he
made up, the last line being "there's no bigger fan of you than me..."

Some memorable moments from the show(s)......a guy from the audience yelled
out "it sucks getting old, doesn't it?..." as Pete put on his spectacles
after the first 2 songs.  Pete commented briefly on aging and then called the
guy a "f**k".  Everyone laughed......Pete questioned why reporters say that
his hairline is receding.  He says that it has receded, and then
stopped.....A woman in the back kept yelling "I love you".  Pete said "I love
myself too".  After she yelled it again later, he wasn't very happy about it
because he was in the middle of telling a story and it broke his train of
thought.  He got pretty angry but proceeded to say that the audience could
yell whatever they wanted.......He told the story of his electric razor-type
scooter that he rides in England saying that it is pretty much the
funnest/best thing ever......He said that he will be working with the Who in
the very near future (August/September) and that the last tour really helped
him to grow creatively and open up new avenues for him.  He said that if you
don't continue to grow (creatively) you die....

The backstage party was pretty cool.  Behind the curtain at the rear of the
stage about one hundred people with the party pass were let in after the
show.  After 10 minutes of appetizers and open bar, Pete walked in.
Naturally people immediately gathered around.  There was no set structure
(unfortunately) on how to meet and greet, so I think it may have been a
little overwhelming for him.  Nevertheless, he seemed in good spirits (if not
just a little tired).  He signed anything that was put in front of him (most
people had their party passes signed), shook hands, posed for pictures (there
was a staff photographer there), and even hugged those who asked.  After
about 30-40 minutes he was gone.  We were fortunate enough to stay at the
same hotel as him, so we were able to see him come and go in his black
towncar.  No security.  Just him and a lady friend.  Quite a weekend to
remember......

Mark