RE: Music Packaging

>From: "donnelly quinn" <donnellyquinn@hotmail.com>
>Subject: LP Artwork vrs. CDs
>
>Greetings.
>I'm new to the list, & am looking forward to the reading.
>"When am I going to see LPs again?"

Greetings!
Good to see a new "lister" come right out with a good thread.
To answer your question with MHO, never.  :-)
(read on).

>From: "Brian Cady" <cadyb@home.com>
>Subject: RE: LP Artwork vrs. CDs
>This is very true. That's why I recommend that new Who fans go out and buy
>the vinyl LP's even if they don't own a turntable. There's something about
>listening to The Who while looking over the large-scale album sleeves
>(particularly Quadrophenia with the booklet) that adds to the experience.

Couldn't agree more.
But, I think we are what one would call "old school".
I'm under the increasing impression that music lovers of today are a vastly
different breed than we used to be, and are in the process of a major
change.
We all love the LP's and art work.  I'm of the opinion that art work has
little relevance or interest to the younger "MP3 generation".  I know many
younger music fans that don't bother with CD covers, or art work, and simply
store CD's in one mass carrying cases  Then, there are the folk that only
listen to MP3's.  Shelves of burned CD's in art-less cases.
I'm a bit surprised that Pete believes that packaging will be relevant in
music distribution in the near future.
With MP3's, the younger generation has already been trained to just get the
music.  All the other stuff is meaningless.  Hey, that's why you have MTV
and videos.

>From: "Jeff House" <whocasa@hotmail.com>
>Subject: RE: LP Artwork vrs. CDs
>
>CDs with websites as window dressing.  Vinyl is dead, there is virtually no

>demand.  If fans want the artwork, the CD packaging could have the web
>address of the artist along with the tiny art that will fit in the case.

Hey, this is actually quite a good idea.  However, if CDRoms didn't take
off, I'm thinking this probably wouldn't either.  Kind of forces you to sit
in that same computer chair in front of that damn computer (most of us spend
too much time there anyway), in that same room.

The future?
I see pay-per-view albums on TV.
With the merging of TV and The Internet, it's only a matter of time before
we can pull up our favorite album (for a price), and do a listen while
watching images or videos relevant to that album.  From that, you'll be able
to click on a lyric sheet, record the whole thing on DVD, look up relevant
information via hyper-links, etc.

Just gazing in my crystal ball is all.
Kevin in VT