Entwistle isn't on hiatus

By Buddy Seigal
Mercury News
Published: Wednesday, June 13, 2001

John Entwistle, bassist with the Who, is among the most influential
musicians in rock 'n' roll. His aggressive, melodic and complex style --
more like a lead guitarist's than a conventional bassist's -- has served as
a model for countless others who saw their role as more than simply holding
up the bottom of a rhythm section.

Many of Entwistle's compositions -- among them, ``Boris the Spider,''
``Whiskeyman'' and ``My Wife'' -- have been favorites among Who fans. And
during the Who's frequent hiatuses over the years, Entwistle was kept
active, with eight solo albums released between 1971 and 1999.

Now Entwistle is embarking on a new adventure. His current tour is ``A Walk
Down Abbey Road,'' a Beatles tribute -- which plays Monday through Wednesday
at Villa Montalvo in Saratoga. In it, he will concentrate on songs from the
Beatles' ``Abbey Road'' album, joined by Todd Rundgren, Alan Parsons, Ann
Wilson (of Heart) and members of his solo band. Entwistle's drummer, Steve
Luongo, is the guy who organized this particular journey, and the man
nicknamed ``Ox'' seems almost perplexed when asked what fans should expect
from the tour.

``I'm confused,'' deadpans Entwistle. ``I've met Todd before. I don't think
I've met Ann Wilson. Alan I think I've met before. I don't know any of them
that well. I'm sure I will after the next few weeks. It's kind of different
from what I'm used to, but I'm getting my fingers around it.''

Asked why the Beatles and why the ``Abbey Road'' album, in particular, he
says, ``Well, the Who started as a pop band doing Beatles songs, because
that's what people wanted to hear, that's all. We started out playing `Twist
& Shout' and `I Saw Her Standing There' and probably the whole of the first
and second albums. But we're not playing that stuff.''

What's he, chopped liver?

It might be a sign of humility that Entwistle is even doing this tour. After
all, many would argue that the Who was just as important as the Beatles. And
it could also be argued that, despite long track records of their own, the
musicians with whom Entwistle is performing fall far short of his own large
legacy.

``Ummm no, I always play with people who aren't as famous as me,'' the Ox
says with a laugh. ``They're famous enough to play with me. Anyone's famous
enough to play with me. I don't feel very humble at all.''

Still, Entwistle saves his longer and more thoughtful responses for
questions about the Who. It's obvious that, even after more than 40 years
(Entwistle started playing with guitarist Pete Townshend when they were
schoolboys in the '50s), the Who remains his passion. The group tours or
records infrequently now, but according to Entwistle, it's not yet down for
the count.

``There's a bunch of stuff that's possible we'll be doing, but we haven't
chosen which yet,'' he says. ``We have to try out new songs for an album
first. I think that's our best bet, working on songs for a new album, write
some material. We'll see where it takes us.''

Feuds have dwindled

Entwistle insists the well-publicized squabbles that have plagued the band
over the years have subsided. But he acknowledges that the band spends more
time with solo projects than working together these days. He's says it's
easy to feel trapped by the Who's legacy but that the members always come
home.

``We get on very well,'' he says, ``but I do get to feeling trapped. Always.
And I think the rest of the Who feel that way, as well, especially Pete.
Pete has his own sort of taste in music that's slightly different. He gets a
chance to perform his own stuff onstage anyway, which is what I do with my
band.

``But I think the breaks we had, where we weren't playing together -- I
think they helped us out a lot. It helped me, in particular. So after a
break and working with different musicians, when I come back to the Who, I
have something different to offer. The secret to staying together is not to
play together, I guess.''

Of course, Entwistle could easily rest on his laurels. The Who has won a
Lifetime Achievement Grammy, and Entwistle was recently voted ``bass player
of the millennium'' by British Guitar magazine.

``Yeah, the millennium,'' he chuckles. ``That would be a long time. Of all
the bass players that's ever been, I got voted No. 1. That's a lot truer
than the Playboy poll I suppose. When people come up and go, `Hey -- you're
a legend,' I always thought legends were Ulysses and King Arthur and people
like that. I'm a minor legend, I guess. It makes you feel extremely old and
just about to die. It's those . . . Off and Die Awards -- they get you every
time.''