Re: Q: Rock is dead? A: Radiohead

----Original Message Follows----
From: "L. Bird" <pkeets@hotmail.com>
To: thewho@igtc.com
Subject: Re: Q: Rock is dead? A: Radiohead
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 04:54:15 -0000

And you're right, I don't think this is quite rock music, either.  That's
where you'll find it at the cd store, but this is a synthesis that's
unclassifiable.  You can hear elements of folk and country and techno, but
the rhythms are complex and intellectual so I think the effect you get is
something like jazz, which a cool medium.  That's why Bjorn thinks it's
boring.  Anybody think they're influenced by Depeche Mode?
------------------
Here's an interview with Thom Yorke with this quote:
http://www.cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserver/SID=1147360429/pagename=/RP/GENRES/cms_genres.html/fid=270912

"We were influenced so much by [pioneering German electronic bands] Can and
Kraftwerk, and Faust, and [avant-garde classical composers Olivier] Messian
and [Krzysztof] Penderecki, and the 13th Floor Elevators, and all this
electronic malarkey, it is difficult to still justify just being a rock
band, and that's it. I think toleration and absolutely no musical or
technological restriction is going to change the way we feel about music.
Laptops are the new electric guitar, I reckon, but I still love electric
guitars, and drums, and singing ... And I don't disown our old stuff at
all."

There's even a song on "Amnesiac" that is kind of Louis Armstrong.
Definitely good stuff to massage your brain with.

The reason I say it is beyond rock is that (1) that's what the media told me
to think :-) and (2) is because they are 'channeling' in a very different
way than your normal mode of perfomance.

They are letting their spirituality and creative energy come through
regardless of any genre lines or labels that corporations and marketers
might wish to draw.  The amazing thing is that they are hugely popular in
spite of this.  Their attitude is great marketing by itself.

They are intellectual punks.  Go ahead Mark, try to label them :-)  I will
argue with you.

Jeff