Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V8 #155

In a message dated 6/12/01 6:57:28 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
TheWho-Digest-Owner@igtc.com writes:

<< > >>
Brian,
    That is complete horseshit to say that music died in 1967 and didn't
return until the Ramones and the Sex Pistols.  If that were true why didn't
Punk last any longer than three years?  Oh yea, I still see people with
orange, spiked hair and studded leather jackets, but they are not facing the
reality that punk lasted just three years.  Why didn't it last?  Because the
public saw through the two minute energy bursts to find bands devoid of any
musical talent.  New Wave bands of the late 70's and early 80's should not be
confused with punk. Bands like the Cars, Blondie, Missing Persons, The Clash
and The Police had alot of talent.  Nirvana, too, can't be confused with punk
either (I recently saw a photo of Dave Grohl wearing a Pink Floyd T-shirt)
because their music had good musical craftsmanship which Punk lacks.  The
same can be said for early Stones, Who, and Kinks music.  So only relics of
the punk culture from 1976-78 survive: the music died out long ago.  I get
sick of geeky, intellectual types saying Punk was the Second Comming of Rock.
 If Punk never happened in the first place the state of rock music would be
no worse of than it is today.  In fact, I believe Punk and Disco scarred the
Rock n' Roll landscape so bad during the late seventies that it still hasn't
recovered to this day. Personally I think the best rock music was produced
between 1967 to 1975, before Punk and Disco came into being.

                                    Jon