Re: re punk (off topic rant)

Well I would agree with that, Brian.  I remember when someone refused to
give me a ride to see Suicidal Tendencies because I was wearing a Peter
Gabriel t-shirt and he was sure I'd be killed.

I guess I do have to admit that part of the appearance of punk rockers was
hatred of anything old, the great "no" to everything you were asked to buy
into as Good Music.

I never bought into that & was sorry when people did. Music fans should take
time to understand the history of what makes the music what it is.  I did go
through that phase of rejecting major label music, but having watched a few
minutes of "1987: Behind The Music" I'm convinced I didn't miss much, with
the exception of maybe Prince and Neil Young.

Anyway many people - rock critics and fans alike- seem to enjoy making rules
about what to agree on, it's an idiotic mentality.  But among musicians,
it's not the case now so much.  Ever since Sonic Youth started lionizing
Karen Carpenter, everyone is finding the "beauty" in things that were
wholesale rejected in their time.  Hey, my girlfriend cleans house to disco
sometimes and I have to admit, it sounds pretty good to me now.

So I would never say that Yes ain't rock music, after all they got guitars
in there.  I will admit to enjoying Yes music on cretain occasions. But I
don't think it was wrong to say "NO!" to that becoming the dominant rock
culture in 1975 either.
Maybe at the time, we needed the passion of that "no" to generate such a
powerful response and move forward with the alternative.

(PS-
Bob's Top 5 for 1987:
Butthole Surfers - Locust Abortion Technician
XTC - Skylarking
NoMeansNo - Sex Mad
Big Black - Songs About Fucking
Pere Ubu - The Tenement Year
...betting a million bucks not a single one is mentioned on that goddamn TV
show.)