RE: Nirvana & Society

>Somehow dying young in a blaze of
> glory lends
> that mythic quality, and sticking around to deal with things gets you
> forgotten.  Why is that, please?  Seems like sticking around shows a lot
> more guts.

There's an Elvis Costello line I've always deliberately misheard as "the
romance of an early death." Rock music is hardly alone in this. Imagine a
Mozart growing into old age and writing works that didn't stand up to his
earlier stuff. He'd be much less important now. Imagine The Who all dying in
a plane crash after the 1973 U.S. tour. They'd be as big as The Beatles now
with everyone wondering how many more wonderful "Tommy's," "Who's Next's"
and "Quadrophenia's" they would have put out.

        -Brian in Atlanta
         The Who This Month!
        http://members.home.net/cadyb/who.htm