Re: Nirvana & Society

> Mark:  I couldn't agree more.   They have recorded some good songs and
> I enjoy listening to a few of them.  They were not in the same league
> as Pearl Jam, who I believe will be underrated historically.

Joe:

Yeah...they made the "mistake" of staying around too long. Long enough to do
some less-than-great material. And even though I'd say Nirvana did some
lessor material as well, Cobain's death gave it all a mythic quality. I
mean, even Hendrix, Joplin and Morrison did some crap material...but since
they're dead, you can't say that without stirring somone's wrath.

> they are just as passionate as Pearl Jam.

Sue:

I'm not saying I don't like Nirvana...I do, particularly Bleach. But I don't
get nearly as much from their music as I do PJ, and Vedder definitely hit
some sociological buttons. I've often said that Quad is a primer for
adolescence; Ten would be my choice for a post-adolescence primer.

> under employed.  Or maybe not at all.  Certain programs are cut at the
> federal levels that contribute to disillusionment.

Kevin:

Not to mention, Federal funds no longer going to the states then cause
states to raise their taxes...the net result of which is more likely than
not higher not lower taxes. That's why anyone who understands knows that a
Federal "tax break" is a joke for anyone making less than $150,000 a year. A
bad joke, and on 98% of the population.
To make the argument society and the economy doesn't impact Art is one I've
never heard before, anywhere. After all, The Who clearly came from the
Mods...it molded most of what they'd do throughout their career. Tommy and
Lifehouse both reflect society's dissatisfaction with Christianity. Quad is
a snapshot of adolescence. By Numbers reflected "middle age" disaffection,
and even It's Hard's songs were based in Pete's perception of the
then-current society. Siege, the next album which was never made, was to be
about "a soul under siege." Once again, dissatisfaction with standard
religious beliefs.
To me, it's quite obvious where Grunge came from. And all music, even
(shudder) Disco and Rap.

"Our nation must come together to unite."
      George "pearls of wisdom" Bush

               Cheers                 ML