Re: This aint no social crisis - YET!

In article <9DE44DE48562D11195EB00805FF5101B04F9BD05@burlington13.vtmednet.org>,
    "O'Neal, Kevin W." <Kevin.ONeal@vtmednet.org>  writes:

> >I just don't buy into this "grunge was a response to national malaise"
> >argument because the malaise wasn't national.  Regional, sure, but not
> >national.
>
> If Grunge caught on at the national level, logic would dictate that there
> was an identification with grunge and the original "regional malaise" on a
> national level.

Grunge was very, very popular here even though our economy locally was
not experiencing any "malaise".  I'm just not buying the argument that
the -reason- for grunge's popularity was economic.  People like grunge
because it was fresh and reminiscient of the punkers of the past
while still being fresh sounding (to younger ears, anyway).

For what its worth, this list is the -only- place where I've ever seen
that argument offered up.  Of course I ignore all the "music industry"
mouthpieces like Stolling Roned magazine, etc., etc., etc.
--
Direct3D Book <http://www.xmission.com/~legalize/book/>
         Home <http://www.xmission.com/~legalize/>