my indoctrination to rap

----Original Message Follows----
From: "O'Neal, Kevin W." <Kevin.ONeal@vtmednet.org>
I'm still absolutely floored that Crap, whoops, I mean Rap has lasted.
I don't get that.
I mean, I can only understand it from the perspective of teens needing to do
what their parents or earlier generation hate them to do.
Other than that, I don't see the attraction in Rap, or why it has now fully
been integrated into main stream society.
----------------------------------
Whoa!  I'm having a rap flashback.  The first time I was exposed to this
music in all its cultural glory it scared the shit out of me.

It was 1981 and I was a freshman in college, having just graduated from a
small, rural, all white high school.  I was trying the new cultural
experience of partying with some city-raised black guys and one of them said
"you gotta check this shit out."

He puts on "Drop the Bomb" (I think) by a local DC group called Trouble
Funk.  The refrain of this piece goes "We gonna drop da bomb on the white
man, too!"

I am a nicely buzzed country boy, sitting in a tiny dorm room, the loud
thumping beats are accompanied by several athletic, similarly buzzed black
guys who are chanting about destroying my people.  I was just buzzed and
adventurous enough to find it very exciting :-)

Point is - its not just a generational thing.  Rap can still be shocking.
The mere fact that it is about the words makes it a great structure for
rebellion.

Jeff