Re: Bad vibes from the Stone & more stuff from 3 days ago

> He said, "People keep telling me to smile.  Smile.  I'm smiling on the
inside."

Scott:

"My face is set in concrete." I like the Radio City show; I got a copy
before seeing them in Raleigh and was pleased to hear how much like The Who
it sounded like. The horns were a bit intrusive, but it was still good IMHO.
I prefer the 2000 sound, of course.

> with popular arts. Jazz ran through everything by the early 60's and
> film did by the late '60's. As did painting now that I think of it.
> What the hell happened then that sealed up advancement in the arts?

LB:

One thing you're leaving out of your statements is "in Western
civilization." Just thought I should point that out.

> of creativity, it seems limited to me.  We await a new genius.

Rap was limited from the start. It's amazing to me it's lasted this long.

> This is not true....
> look at the review of its hard...

Scott P:

 I stand corrected. Although I was still getting RS at that time and don't
remember it. I do remember IH entered the RS chart at #2, though.

> just left me thinking, "well, there's another bassist and drummer who
can't
> play as well as John and Keith." I also haven't heard the Chicago Who
covers

Brian:

That's asking for a lot, isn't it? But I was just glad SOMEONE wanted to
cover The Who.

> after "The Who Sell Out." Don't forget that they gave "It's Hard" a rave
> review when it came out.

I must have forgotten. I remember the review being a bit negative,
especially about the songwriting. Perhaps I'm thinking of another magazine.

> I think a lot of people would think the last developments in rock were
punk
> and rap, but don't forget that both of those started in the 70's as well.

I can definitely say that Punk started with Anyway Anyhow Anywhere. Others
may argue. Rap...Rap hasn't progressed a hair since its inception. In fact,
there's a case that could be made for Folk music being embryonic Rap.

Don't hit me.

> Well, Pete has always said "the who have not made a good record in 30 yrs,

Scott P:

That's just what Pete says. You know, he's bound to say anything. He must
love Quad. I can't believe he doesn't.

> meaning the last good album was who's next. What has Daltrey and entwistle
> thought since then?

"I'm sure glad we're touring!"

> 1974 and you're in Pete's shoes. What do you do now? What do you do with
The
> Who that you haven't done before? Will the band let you do it? Will the
fans
> put up with it?

Brian:

Ah, there's a poser. If I were Pete, I'd do the next project up. I'm a big
SF fan, so I'd probably do some SF project, perhaps with a spritual twist.
As Lifehouse was meant to be. And it's no fair asking me, because I have a
hundred stories yet untold (until I sell the book I'm currently working on).
And I also have a concept album I'm working on as well, called Lost
Generation. It's hard for me to believe Pete was out of ideas, it seems more
likely he restrained himself in the ideas department. And that's still the
case, IMHO.

> Those would be some WILDLY great ass fun shoes to be in!! :)  It'd be
> like "yeah, Karen.....umm....I probably won't be home tonight after our

Joseph:

Uh, I don't know about that...Karen was pretty cute in 1974. I think I'd
find a way to make it home.

> Do you think Pete said fuck it with the concept albums and tried to just
> write rock song on by numbers??? So that is why they recorded who by
> numbers?? Maybe Pete thought he could not write a concept album anymore?

Scott P:

That's what he said at the time. Music WAS changing, though. The mysticism
was out. Reality was in. Spirituality was out. Drunken fun songs about being
a Rock Star were in ("I want to RnR all night/And party every day..."). It's
hard to be a saint in the city, so to speak.

"If a person doesn't have the capacity that we all
   want that person to have, I suspect hope is in
     the far distant future, if at all."
         George "pearls of wisdom" Bush

               Cheers                 ML