All and all it's just another brick in the well

> That's a pretty broad statement.

Keets:

I have a pretty broad perspective.

> Aren't you ignoring other likely influences?

Nope.

> Latin is big right now.

Yeah, and it was in the 50's too. But no matter the influence, you can trace
all American white music back to black music.

> Where's folk in all this?

You mean the white folk? Just kidding. Folk came from minstrel, a British
form of music. However, what happened in the US is it became Country Blues.
We screw up everything, don't we? Anyway, early Blues (as in Ledbelly and
Robert Johnson) is a combination of Gospel and Country Blues.

> Irish music?

Wasn't really an influence until Titanic came out on DVD.

> Eastern?

Talk to George Harrison. Who began his career by playing Chuck Berry riffs.

> BTW, that's unlikely to be based on black music.

I'll give you that one. I said it before, you know. All except Country. No
black person I've ever met wanted to claim "credit" for Country music. Can't
say I blame them, either.

> Hey, why not?  Everybody forgets that white folks are from a tribal
> background and have very strong musical traditions.

All humans are from tribal backgrounds. Some fish too, apparently, according
to the Prez.

> It may be a thousand
> years since tribalism was big

Ever been to the parking lot of a Grateful Dead concert?

> That's the problem with being a follower, rather than a leader.  Richards
is
> even a pretty slack imitator.

I don't know about that. He's (or I should say "He WAS") a better guitar
player than Chuck Berry. Berry just came up with the sound.

> Ever watch HAIL, HAIL, ROCK AND ROLL?  Chuck
> Berry complains about his guitar work in rehearsal, shows him how to do
it,
> and Richards still misses it in the final show.

Uh...Richards was right. I know what you mean, the part where Richards is
trying to explain to Berry about how to get the sound he wants. Berry didn't
understand the technology had changed.

> Clapton is the real thing, though.

Coke is the real thing, but Clapton did Heroin instead.

> Yes, Mark L., I know I should "get over it" & "move on" but each time I
think
> of that.........aaaarrrgh!!!

Scott:

What am I, a therapist? I'm upset about that too! The Who should have been
the FIRST thing they talked about! The Well which is the source and all
that.

"This is still a dangerous world.  It's a world of madmen
        and uncertainty and potential mential losses."
                 George "I know what I mean" Bush

               Cheers                 ML