Re: Get Funky

> I agree that The Who music is highly influenced by American black
music--but
> it's a long way from being the same.

Keets:

I don't know that anyone ever said it was the same. Who wants the same
anyway?

> for MY GENERATION are already distanced from their origins--they're punk
> instead of blues.

Punk came from black music. Every form of US music, well except for Country,
came (at least partly) from Gospel. And all British Rock came from US music.

> I'm still working on that theory that Who music is Celtic tribal music

Good luck!

> This is what separates The Who from many of their contemporaries. Eric
> Clapton and, to some degree,

Brian:

Uh...maybe with Mayall, but once he joined the Yardbirds he was doing
exactly what The Who were doing...white versions of Blues. Ditto with Cream,
and even more with Derek & Dominos. The Animals did the same. And The Kinks.

> Richard is always a little disparaging of Townshend. He didn't stay with
> "the one true way."

But Richards never advanced as a musician. His best (recorded) lead was on
Sympathy For The Devil, 4 years into a (so far) 36 year career.

> I'll tell ya where The Who gets funky.  During the ending jam on "Another
Tricky
> Day" at the 1981 live Essen, Germany show.  Do-doo  doo-doo-ta-doo.

Scott:

Good point!

> That's
> Kenny Jones keeping that funky beat.  Still, no credit.  Just slag offs.
Tsk tsk.

I'd give credit to Entwistle instead of Jones.

"This is still a dangerous world.  It's a world of madmen
        and uncertainty and potential mential losses."
                 George "I know what I mean" Bush

               Cheers                 ML