RE: Getting into The Who...

...through the straight and narrow.

>How did everyone else here get into the Who??  I bet this question has been
>asked a million times before I joined the list, but I'm interested to know.
>
>from Christine

Yes Christine, asked a million times, but always a favorite one to spin a
yarn...

At the time, I was a huge Zeppelin fan with no Who exposure to put me on the
straight path.  I was 12 yrs old and thought Jimmy Page was king of the
world; John Bohnam his Kissenger.  One day I plopped down in front of the TV
and my dad had the news on.  A bouncy blond (Sandy Freeman, was her name I
belive; talk about indelible moments) read a news story about a death in the
rock and roll community - "Keith Moon of the Who was found dead today at the
age of..."  And they had this still picture of him crashing down on his
cymbals, but you couldn't see him at all.  He was a blur and I remember
thinking that Keith Moon is (was) a maniac.  So I hurried upstairs to my
brother's 8-track tape collection and found Who's Next.  Needless to say, I
liked it... a lot.  The album Who Are You has JUST been released, and it
seems now that it was within weeks that The Kids Are Alright was being
released in theaters.  I remember the TV commercials and bought the "Kids"
soundtrack.  It was the soundtrack that did it; LIVE Who just blew me away.
It still does and I've never looked back.  The timing I guess was perfect in
favor of the Who, but Zeppelin has always been a second rate act to me ever
since I heard "Won't Get Fooled Again" from the Kids soundtrack.  And "Happy
Jack", and "Baba", and "Sparks"... etc, etc...

And, like you said too, listening to Beatles pretty much got me onto the
path that led to the 'orrible 'Oo.

Jim in Colo Springs

"I'm Keith Moon, what's your excuse?"  KJM