Censorship; Beatles; Nuggets II

>       Any comments??

Donnelly:

Yeah. I think it's censorship and therefore Bush will be all for it. And I
think that's sad. You could have used the same argument to ban WGFA or any
Steppenwolf or Jefferson Airplane album.

> Influence?  Pete loses again to Lennon & McCartney, and Dylan beats him
too.

Jeff:

I have to disagree, because while L&Mc had the music, they couldn't touch
Pete's lyrics on their best day. And Dylan had the lyrics, but his music was
extremely simple. Pete had both, and both together are more influential than
either by themselves. More on that at the end.

> violence, music is the worst place to start.  How about guns,

The idiots are pro-gun, in the face of rising random shootings (their
solution: the Ten Commandments in schools. Good plan.)

> and education for starters?

And anti-education, except for the elite.

> Who to?  Wasn't it Pete who called GW a cunt last year?

Yes, it certainly was. He's so damned perceptive!

> What direction do you think it should take in order to be suitable for

Keets:

And who gets to decide what's suitable? That's what worries me.

> And more mature.  The Beatles gave up after ten years

It's only a rumour, but it's been said that L&Mc heard Tommy and said "We
can't touch that." and broke up. But it's just a rumour...

> Jobs.  Everybody needs a job to keep them busy.

Except, whoops, unemployment is up again just like in the early 80's. What a
coincidence.

> the production is also something to provoke envy in any Who fan. Oh, for A
> QUICK ONE or THE WHO SELL OUT with George Martin at the helm!

Brian:

I can't agree with that. A Who song produced by Martin would be like Face
Dances. To see exactly how much Martin did for The Beatles, check out Let It
Be compared to any of their other albums.

Speaking of influence from The Who, I got the second Nuggets boxed set the
other day...the first being my all-time favorite boxed set, and this one
deals primarily with British bands. Obscure, but very influential bands. I
have never seen a non-Who book which mentions The Who more than the booklet,
and most of this stuff is Mod music so it's something any serious Who fan
should check out. I can't, at this early date, say it's going to take its
place beside the other Nuggets, but it has the potential.
There is no actual Who on it, but it does include the Les Fleur De Lys
version of Circles (produced by Shel Talmy and featuring Jimmy Page on
guitar).
A must-have for any serious Rock collector and interesting for any Who fan.
You might want to check it out.

"We're blessed with such values in America. And I-it's-I'm a
  proud man to be the nation based upon such wonderful values."
             George "no man is a peninsula" Bush

               Cheers                 ML