My Favorite Year Pt. 4

How better to end this with yet another weekend in the UK?

Don't try this at home, folks, it really wipes you out!  Unless your Bjorn, you may not live to tell the tale!  I can't say I would ever hesitate to do it again if it concerned a WHO gig, but just remembering what the jet lag felt like, well, I aged a few.  Again, WORTH IT!!!!!
Glasgow 1st night:
Same deal as Sadler's Well, just here for the show, kids.  Jan was a wonderful hostess, carting me around from airport to hotel to dinner to clubs, even helping me book a massage!!  I highly recommend her travel services!
The hotel was practically in the parking lot of the SECC; about a 6 minute walk at the brisk pace required by Glasgow's November temperatures.  Waiting in line was INSIDE!!!  This was a first.  I was already resigned to freezing my ass off while waiting for those precious general admission places (Nose plastered against the front of the stage is the one I always shoot for!!!) just like at SBE.  But no, the WHO gods smiled down upon us and gave us a bathroom, a convenience store, a restaurant (not to mention the hotel and train station!) all within a couple of minutes walk, along with heat.  What a dream.
The doors opened up and we all RAN to the stage, all 40 of us.  Yup, it was about 40 people there at about 6:30.  I couldn't believe it.  The show was sold out, too.  I found out later why no one felt it was necessary to wait in line all day....it was because they intended to crush us all to death and take our places.  The security team did the best they could in protecting us from the rowdies, but for a couple of moments there, I was beginning to wonder if I should be removed.  It was tough.  The band didn't seem too happy about it either;  at least a dozen times Roger asked us if we were ok.  Pete wouldn't even look at us; he knew it wasn't pretty.  I ended up very bruised, but OK.  Didn't need to breathe anyway.
As far as the show goes, I really liked this show.  Both of these shows.  The set list was honed; an occasional off moment, a couple of blank looks from Roger as he realized he didn't remember what comes next!  My most favorite moment had to be for 5:15, though.  It was so perfect, I was wondering if it was part of the act, I still don't know.  If anyone else has seen this little interlude at another show, let me know.  Just as they are starting to lower it down before John's solo, Roger is front and center with the mike on the stand, swaying, eyes closed, doing his 'out of my brain on the train on the train i was out of my brain' thing...just completely into it.  So into it, in fact, that it went on a bit.  Then a bit more.  Pretty soon, John is looking at Pete like 'what is he doing?   don't I solo now?'  Pete is beginning to laugh, then John starts to laugh.  Pete is leaning up against Rabbits piano, chin in hand, smiling, just waiting for Roger to get to 'and i heard the thunder' and it just isn't happening.  He really begins to crack up, John is shaking his head 'I don't believe this guy' still waiting.  Of course, the moment it comes and the thunder hits us we go absolutely wild, but we are all laughing still, amused to be part of this joke.  Roger is doing the sitting thing, so he isn't really paying attention.  What a moment.
HIGHLIGHTS:  Being in the front.  5:15 (!)   Anyway Anyhow Anywhere.   My Generation
BUMMERS:  Missing the band after the show.  Evidently they were wandering through the hall as though they were regular people.  How dare they?!  ;o)

Glasgow 2nd night:
Thank GOD for that day off.  I do not know how they do this tour thing with so little time off.  I get exhausted.  Of course, I am exhausted from working before the tour even starts, but still, I have at least 17 years on Pete.  All I do is stand there (alright, stand is not an appropriate description-Hopping around is more accurate) and applaud and I am wiped.
We went to dinner and then out to a couple of clubs.  All I wanted was to hear some WHO so I spent the better part of the evening harassing the DJ.  He told me he only had one WHO song and he couldn't play it yet because people would want to hear it again later.  What the fuck?
It was back in line around 3 pm, this time.  There were 2 very young Mods who were at the front of the line with their Dads.  It was so cute.  They had on these really sharp suits and their green parka with THE WHO on the back.  I was trying to explain to them what the crush was like on Friday....they were unimpressed.  As seen on Petes website, Bjorn brought a pillow; I had purchased a sofa cushion on Saturday and it worked like a charm.  The management also made an announcement before the show concerning keeping care that there were people up in the front.  It seemed to have an effect - instead of being crushed front to back, we were crushed up side to side,  my arms hung over the barricade crossed for most of the show.  I brought a camera that night, so I do have some photos if any one wants a couple of the better ones, email me.  I was determined to stay calm and try not to cry as it was the very last time I was going to see a show this tour.  At that point it was hard for me to believe I will see them again.....it still is sometimes.  Pete came out with his sunglasses on and played an excellent show.  Roger seemed more comfortable as well, since he didn't have to watch the front row being compacted.  John and Zak....well, the only other team that worked on a higher caliber is John and Keith.  Everything was good;  it was a great show.  I liked it a lot, but I had that "end-of-the-tour" thing hanging over me.  I sat up late whining to Bjorn that I would never see them again and my heart was breaking.  I do not know whether it is true that I won't see them, but I am beginning to be more accepting of the idea.  It's not like I missed a lot of shows.  I have been so very very fortunate;  to complain would be ridiculous.
HIGHLIGHTS:  Breathing.  Almost every song sounded perfect to me.  There was even a little room to wiggle around a bit!!!
BUMMERS:   It was over.  I had to go back to real life.  Ho hum.

Right then, thanks for coming along.  At least since I have these notes to save, when I am 70 I can re-read them and say "I remember"
jacqueline
The only quiet place is inside your soul...