RE: balls

>>Jim in Colo Springs "And, this was in '65.  Can anyone else tell me of a
>>recording so early by any other band that was so ballsy?  I didn't think
>>so."
>
>Muddy Waters "Mannish Boy" (1955) big hard balls
>
>Jeff

Jeff,

I agree, big time.  Muddy had balls way back and up until he died.  As I am
formerly from Chicago, I was treated to great blues for a long time.  Hell,
I attended Willie Dixon's funeral, had drinks with Pinetop Perkins, hung out
with Albert Collins, know Buddy Guy on a first name basis, but unfortunatley
never met Muddy.  Lots of the old Chess Record artists had balls.

But I'm talking about Who-sized balls.  You know, bocce balls, wrecking
balls, the Balls of Montezuma.  NOBODY had that kind of in your face
presentation like the Who did prior to '65 - nobody.  Yes, there were ballsy
recordings; Eddie Cochran, Elvis (once in a blue moon, sorry keets), Howlin'
Wolf/Chess Records, ect... But that PUNK sound - sloppy but vibrant.
Arrogant and angry.  And VERY, VERY, VERY loud.  Nope.  The Who were the
ones who did it first.  Hands down.  Reminds me of that old black and white
photo of an early Who concert, my guess is around 1966 or so.  We've all
probably seen it - Pete is leaning back wearing a kind of bathrobe outfit
and he's apparently making his guitar cry.  You can see the audience is
right on top of the stage and there is a well dressed couple right next to
Pete with their hands covering their ears.  That sums it up for me.  People
had never heard such power and volume before, and The Who's manner of
presentation remains - to this day - the standard that every other
guitar/rock band since, has followed.  That's my 1 1/2 cents worth.

A great weekend to all and to all a good day.

Jim in Colo Springs

Game Show Host:  "The big three rock and roll bands are, The Beatles, the
Rolling Stones, and what other rock and roll band?"

Contestant:  "I don't know.  Uh..., The Doors?"

Game Show Host:  "Sorry, but no.  The answer is, The Who.  Who?  (laughs)
Who are the Who?"

Audience Member:  "MAGIC BUS!!!!"

Jim Sigel
Senior Systems Analyst
Civilian LGCW
US Air Force Academy
Phone:  (719) 333-4024
Fax:   (719) 333-6603
James.Sigel@USAFA.af.mil

"Our eyes see change, but inside we're the same as we ever were.  Living on
a thin line; tell me now what are we supposed to do?"