Who/Rush/KJ

Mark R. Leaman
>>Try listening to the Lark's/Starless/Red trilogy. They're my favourite
> Lucas:
> I have, but it's just not for me I guess. Remember, I am a Punk fan...I want
> a lot of emotion in my music.

Well, to me, Lark's part II, Red or Fracture have more emotion than any
punk
song :)

>>doesen't change the fact that, the first song that sounds like today's
>>HM, to me, is Helter Skelter.

> You should listen to the Fillmore East 1968 bootleg. The Who had the sound,
> just hadn't recorded it yet.

Is it easy to find on napster?
By the way, I've just downloaded D&D's version of Little Wing. I've
heard it again and again, and found no similarity with Peart's drumming,
in fact
the song had a very common rock drum line...

> There's no basis for that. I love them, I do, but they didn't innovate at
> all. Sgt. Pepper's covered that ground. The Moody Blues are barely
> Progressive anyway; Pop songs with an orchestra...that's all.

That's exactly what he calls progressive <gr>: Pop songs with an
orchestra (or with a keyboard with string sounds). He's a hardcore
Marillion fan :)

>>Musically, The Who definitely wasn't.
> My Generation, Substitute, Out In The Street, Disguises, So Sad About Us,
> and Pictures Of Lily were. At least.

I disagree. My Generation is close to punk, because of the repetition of
few power chords, but, man, the song has a bass solo! Punk bassists just
keep repeating the same notes on and on... To me, The Who's "punkiness"
exists in their attitude only. Their sound was too complex to be called
punk.

>>If they did, then the 80's King Crimson would be spoiled...
> Different, but maybe not spoiled.

To me, what calls attention in 80's King Crimson is the poli-rhythmics.
Moon just couldn't do that.

>>were very influential on rock'n'roll, Rush was very influential on
>>hard/prog.
> OK, show me where. What bands can you say that Rush was the major influence?
> I must have missed it.

I think that most of what's now being called "prog-metal" (Dream
Theater, for example), was heavily influenced by rush.

And if we're talking just about the influence of Neil Peart on other
drummers, the thing would be a lot bigger. Try asking for rock
drummers out there for their influences. A large number will say
"Peart".

>>instruments. I'd rather hear Bill Bruford playing his electric kit than
>>any average drummer playing an acoustic set.

> Not me; it sounds too "80's" to me now.

Yes. But to me, the musician is what really matters.

>>I used to say that jazz music, as a whole, didn't have "heart", "soul",
>>"feeling",

> You should listen to Dave Brubeck. Everyone should, really.

I do! :) "Take Five" is one of my favourite songs! :)

>>Peart did on rush songs (this can be seen on "Exit... Stage Left"), was
>>not common on rock music.

> I've got it at the store...I'll listen to it today.

Check it. Few rock drummers use syncopated rhythms like that.

>>That's because every instrumentist wants to blend other things to his
>>style.
> Jones blended nothing, nor did Phillips. I think both were compromises.

Jones just didn't want to sound like Moon. In fact, I think that Zak
was the only one that wanted that.

>>What would be the meaning if Zak just memorized exactly the same lines

> That's not what I'm talking about. Jones did a good bit of this, but he
> wasn't able to pull it off. He always sounds like he's just a bit slow to
> me.

I don't think so, Jones was from the "precision" team. And he was good
on it.

Lucas