Bell Boy

> I didn't really like Bell Boy at first too...

I loved it from the get-go.  The part that sends shivers down my spine
is after the middle bridge when Moonie's drums come barrelling back in
& Daltrey sings, "A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only
soul in the world that's-a reeeaaal!"  Beautiful.  What an outstanding job
Daltrey does on *all* of QUAD.

I also like in "Bell Boy" after each time the line "Ain't you the guy who
used to set the paces..." is sung, Entwistle gets that mischeivous up-slide
on the neck producing that "wooooooo" sound.  Brilliant.

That live version on the 30 YEARS video sounds a bit sloppy to me.
The song loses its push when Moonie stops playing drums to sing his
little parts (secret:  I used to think Pete sang those parts! Shhhhhh).
Also, the microphone transfer between Daltrey & Moon wasn't always
the smoothest.  So I prefer the studio version.

- SCHRADE in Akron