Re: Subject: Q: Who started punk?

>Husker Du were a trio (like The Who - sorry Rog, but the
>other three guys really put out the power)

Last night I was watching the Freddie Mercury Benefit tape, and this morning
I was thinking that Roger plays The Who.  That's his instrument of choice.
;)

>Who started Punk?  The Who, of course.  I can't remember where I saw it
>exactly, but I saw a clip of the Who doing My Gen, circa 1965, possibly at
>the Marquee Club.  THAT was punk - no doubt about it.  Raw, loud, angry,
>fast and aggressive; all of the main elements of punk.  And, this was in
>'65.  Can anyone else tell me of a recording so early by any other band
>that was so ballsy?  I didn't think so.

Well, I'd have to consider Elvis circa mid-fifties.  Besides being loud,
aggressive and fast, he had that in-your-face sexuality that was awfully
annoying to the establishment.  I think Elvis heavily influenced The Beatles
and other punkish bands of the time.  The Who come out of left field with
the irony and auto-destructive art, though.  It's serious, intelligent punk,
and therefore more dangerous than what came before it--or, for that matter,
what came after it.  The Who remains the band to beat.

keets