Punk to Progressive and back again

>Clearly I do not understand the Progressive label.  I always thought that
>pretension was the single most important characteristic.

Jeff:

No, that's something detractors would say. Progressive is Rock coupled with
another musical form, usually Classical and Jazz. The Oz could be considered
because it has elements of Jazz.

>The Kingsmen's "Louie Louie" was a big influence on the early hard stuff by
>The Kinks and The Who.

SP:

Undoubtedly. Nothing exists in a vaccuum.

>"Sea & Sand?"  Oh man, Leaman's gonna kill you.  :-)

Jason:

"Kill" might be a bit extreme. But you know me so well.

>happened to Pacino in the end of Scarface, then I'd say the weakest track
is
>The Rock.

I retract that. It's obvious, and I should have seen it right away: the
weakest track on Quad is, hands down: I Am The Sea.

>Actually LTJ are ska, which is basically punk with horns.

Nicole:

These things are hard to pin down, and even The Clash did Ska. And Reggae
was a frequent element of Punk, too.

>I can see that.  It is about 30 or 45 seconds too long.

Scott:

Maybe 3 or 4 seconds too long at most, that's all.

>I can't explain, keets!  And before you take me to the center of town
>& burn me at the stake

That's MY job. How do you like your stake, rare or well done?

>Try listening to the Lark's/Starless/Red trilogy. They're my favourite

Lucas:

I have, but it's just not for me I guess. Remember, I am a Punk fan...I want
a lot of emotion in my music.

>this style). The problem on Tales is that it's just to big.

Definitely; I saw them live on this tour and it was horrible. At least the
20 minute song Close To The Edge was great; nothing on Tales can touch it
and there's FOUR of them and that's ALL there is. The concert was exactly
the same, with Roundabout as the encore. By then, no one cared.

>Yes. Lots of people say that Robert Fripp is an asshole.

But who cares? I love Moon as a musician, but if I'd known him I'd be glad
he didn't know where I lived. I have a lot of respect for Jim Morrison and
Ray Davies, too, but from what I've heard I couldn't hang with them.

>doesen't change the fact that, the first song that sounds like today's
>HM, to me, is Helter Skelter.

You should listen to the Fillmore East 1968 bootleg. The Who had the sound,
just hadn't recorded it yet.

>I always say that the Beatles were more important than MB to a prog-fan
>guy that just hate the Beatles and The Who more than anything on earth,
>but he keeps saying that not just MB were important to prog-rock
>creation,
>but that they, alone, were responsible for the creation of the style.

There's no basis for that. I love them, I do, but they didn't innovate at
all. Sgt. Pepper's covered that ground. The Moody Blues are barely
Progressive anyway; Pop songs with an orchestra...that's all.

>Musically, The Who definitely wasn't.

My Generation, Substitute, Out In The Street, Disguises, So Sad About Us,
and Pictures Of Lily were. At least.

>If they did, then the 80's King Crimson would be spoiled...

Different, but maybe not spoiled.

>were very influential on rock'n'roll, Rush was very influential on
>hard/prog.

OK, show me where. What bands can you say that Rush was the major influence?
I must have missed it.

>instruments. I'd rather hear Bill Bruford playing his electric kit than
>any average drummer playing an acoustic set.

Not me; it sounds too "80's" to me now.

>Saying that a band had no soul is a very personal opinion.

I was talking about Dance music, no particular band.

>I used to say that jazz music, as a whole, didn't have "heart", "soul",
>"feeling",

You should listen to Dave Brubeck. Everyone should, really.

>Peart did on rush songs (this can be seen on "Exit... Stage Left"), was
>not common on rock music.

I've got it at the store...I'll listen to it today.

>That's because every instrumentist wants to blend other things to his
>style.

Jones blended nothing, nor did Phillips. I think both were compromises.

>What would be the meaning if Zak just memorized exactly the same lines

That's not what I'm talking about. Jones did a good bit of this, but he
wasn't able to pull it off. He always sounds like he's just a bit slow to
me.

>Tommy's overture is definitely a prog song.

I retract my statement that Tommy was first; Rael was definitely
Progressive. And A Quick One While He's Away too.

>That's interesting, I just love "Love Reign O'er Me"!
>By the way, it has a prog feel too...

Quad was their most Progressive album, after all.

"The new President of The United States is
    what I would call a cunt "
              Pete Townshend

               Cheers                 ML