Weak link in Quad???

>>From: "Scott Schrade" <schrade@akrobiz.com>
>>Subject: QUAD's Weakest Track
>>
>>We all know QUADROPHENIA is just the most perfect piece
>>of music & medication ever created, but I'm interested in knowing
>>what some of you think is the album's *weakest* track.  I'd honestly
>>have to say "Love, Reign O'er Me" gets that 'prize.'  Maybe "Sea &
>>Sand" but I kinda like "Sea & Sand."
>>
>>- - SCHRADE in Akron
>
>Now quit sniffing glue and go get yourself some good reefer.
>-gern

Baaaaaaaaaaha.  Someone knows you all too well Scott.  :-)

Well, days like today are the reason why I live in VT.  I was on the road for work most of the day, traveling through the mountains around the Stowe area to several small VT towns.  Fresh blanket of snow, and a great opportunity to listen to Quad with an analytical ear.  I'm sure a few folk caught me air-guitaring at stop signs during my travels.
Now, I did a complete listen.  I looked hard for the weak link.  I really did.  I'll start by saying that I can kind of understand why you (Scott) find LROM to be the "weak link" (I think).  Is it that it's the most radio-played song on the album?  Is it that it's too mushy?  We know you don't like the "softer side" of Pete. ;-)
I can't agree with you on this though.  LROM is a powerful song, acting as the perfect "exclamation point" to the entire album.  It's a fitting conclusion, and really quite a composition.  It *is* a bit mushy.  I mean, all that love raining all over Rog.  Sounds messy.  But it also drives.
I'm glad you "kinda" like Sea and Sand.  It has to be my favorite track of the album.  It's what hooked me to Quad.  It's really what I identify with most, of all who material.
Just the words are killer:

they finally threw me out
my mother got drunk on stout,
my dad couldn't stand on two feet,
as he lectured about morality.
Now I guess the families complete,
with me hanging round on the street
or here on the beach.

OR (one of my favs.)

How come the girls come on oh so cool
Yet when you meet 'em, every one's a fool.

OR (ok, a bit softer)

Come sleep on the beach
Keep within my reach
I just want to die with you near
I'm feeling so high with you here.

So, the question still remains.  What IMHO is the weakest link?  I'm going to duck right after writing this, because I know this track is a sentimental favorite of many.  But, really, the weakest track (pains me to say) on Quad would have to be Bell Boy.  Great message of betrayal, but really the lyrics are simple, and the music doesn't really fit with the rest.
Thanks for this almost impossible assignment. I'm now going to go do penance.

BTW, The Rock rules!

Well, a new 56K modem, double the RAM, and a new web browser at home affords me the luxury of sitting back for the evening and watching all of Pete's videos!  FINALLY!!

Kevin in VT