Gabba Gabba Grammy

> >I think it would have been great for The Who to perform in front of
> one
> >of the largest TV audiences of the year.
>
> I can see this point, I really can.  BUT, I'd rather see them play
> at the
> Grammy's after the huge success of their new album.  :-)
> BUT (again), at the same time, I'm scared to death of it.
> It's a scary thing to put yourself "out there" when at the same time
> you're
> protecting a legacy.
> When they go "live-public" like performing at The Grammy's, I'd
> rather see
> them as "the conquering hero's".  This is what's needed to distance
> themselves from the "bubble gum".
> I don't want the world to see them as a "nostalgia act" which
> playing this
> year surely would occur.

Excellent counterpoint, sir.

> >I know you asked ML, but I'll take a stab at this:  The Sex
> Pistols, The
> >Clash, Green Day, Guns n Roses for starters.  Please correct me if
> I'm
> >wrong, but didn't The Ramones first UK tour lead to the Brit punk
> >explosion led by The Sex Pistols?
> >Jeff

Kevin:  > You may indeed be correct regarding Green Day and Guns n Roses
> (although I
> don't see the connection with GnR).
> But, The Clash and Sex Pistols came much earlier.
> The Sex Pistols released Never Mind the Bullocks back in the
> mid-late 70's
> (anyone have the exact date?), while The Ramones didn't hit it until
> the
> mid-80's.

Is that your final answer?  The Ramones are post- 'My Generation, Stooges
and MC5, but pre-Pistols.  I don't know what you mean by "hit" - they
never really had any hits to speak of.   Their debut album and 1st gigs
of the UK were in 1976.  The Pistols 1st album was released in 1977.  The
Sex Pistols were just getting their shit together when The Ramones
performed in London.
As far as GnR, Slash has talked about how much he loved the Ramones.
IHMO their 1st album sound was a punk-metal blend.  Any punk after 1976
is Ramones-influenced.

bibliograghical footnote:
http://www.rollingstone.com/sections/artists/text/bio.asp?afl=&LookUpStri
ng=261

I clearly have too much time on my hands.
Jeff