RE: Older Bands and........STU!

>From: thewho rocks <leb905@yahoo.com>
>Subject: older rock bands
>
>I read some article or other this week end about the future of The Who
>depending on whether they could come to terms with being an older rock
>band.

What did they mean with "come to terms with being an older rock band"?

>Somehow rock has been tagged as a young man's game.
>But then tonight I caught the tail end of a VH1 show that said the
>Twentieth Century ended with the music scene pretty much in chaos.

I know it may not seem like it, given the doom of the upcoming Grammy's
(Nsynch, Eminem, Brittney Boobs, and other such worthless pieces of utter
distainable CRAP!), but I can't help but feel like the world is ready to let
go of this notion that only The Youth can create meaningful music.
Who is out there?  Nobody!  One or two hit wonders, as our as esteemed
colleague ML has noted. Carlos began the fight, and I'm looking to The Who
to end it.  With age does come wisdom and skill for crying out loud.  Now I
do realize that "the fire" may not burn as violently as it did in youth.
I've mellowed.  ML has mellowed.  Schrade has....., well......ok, but Stu
has mellowed. ;-)  Is that it?  Rock is not supposed to be mellow?  To be
clear, the fire in The Who still burns hot enough for me.  Is it hot enough
for "the youth"?
As I write, I realize that Rock is a perfect mirror of the rest of society
as a whole.  We really don't appreciate or utilize the older folk in our
society.  It's gonna be an uphill battle.  Don't know if it will ever
happen.  Wouldn't it be something though, if "old rock" somehow gets us all
to change our thinking, and really appreciate the fact that age doesn't
matter (except for those old farts that should not drive!).

>Right now music is very individual, and nobody really knows what's
>going to be successful.  That levels the field in many ways,

Is that another way of saying that people are starting to really analyze
music and realize that what's "new" isn't necessarily "better or even good"
?
God, I hope so.

>I've been looking at the current pictures of Pete on his
>website, and somehow he looks pretty contemporary.
>LB

He *does* look contemporary.  But, I too, like Schrade, hear folk say "how
old they all look".
EF-EM!  Can't help those who get caught up in that.

>From: Jeff House <jjthandmeh@juno.com>
>Subject: The respect of a dancehall friend
>
>These discussions are taking me back to High School days when, as a
>developing freak, I found it necessary to chose MY band.  Choosing one's
>band in my developing peer group of pot-heads and
>pseudo-budding-intellectuals meant that you had to defend this choice and
>that your identity was forever linked with your selection.
>Jeff

YES!!!!!!  It was *US* vs. *THEM* baby!  Most agreed that The Beatles were
#1.  Most would then put The Stones at #2.  I even conceded that at the time
(based on notoriety).  BUT, the real battle was for #3.  The Who?  Zep?  The
Doors?  I always saw it in that order....Who #3, Zep #4, Doors #5.  But, I
was also often in the minority.

>From: "Scott Schrade" <schrade@akrobiz.com>
>Subject: Re: Rush & Who, Prog-rock, etc.
>
>> I would certanly get shocked if someone said
>> to me that the bassist from Ramones is much better
>> than Entwistle or Geddy
>
>1-2-3-4 !!!!

Is that you counting to 10?  Baahaha! :-D

>From: "Scott Schrade" <schrade@akrobiz.com>
>Subject: Re: older rock bands
>
>Perhaps Rock will have to through a few more generations
>with continued input from older rock stars (a la The WHO
>in 2000) before age becomes less of a restriction. Maybe
>the year 2056 things will be better!

God, do we have to wait that long??  I don't think I can take 55 years of
Brittney and Ndink, and "I'm a Cowboy" (actually can respect Kidrock, if
he'd come up with something new already)

>From: "Scott Schrade" <schrade@akrobiz.com>
>Subject: Re: Rhino Rush

>Alice In Chains?  Soundgarden?  Eeeeeeeeewwww!!!  My god,
>man, seek help!

Yeah, what can I say. Got a bit of the 'ol grungy grunge in me.  Now that
I've kicked Heroine, I'm not as enthralled. ;-)
THAT WAS A JOKE EVERYONE!!!
I lost my interest in AinC when Jar of flubs came out.  BUT, I really do
think we lost a good and creative band when SG hung it up.

>OK, I'll go out on a limb & give y'all a chance to get a few shots
>in on me.  I love The DOORS.  They're No.2 in my book, right
>behind The WHO.  They get me off *real* fucking good.  Am I
>right or am I wrong?  My fantasy, go-back-in-time concert would
>be that DOORS / WHO show at the Singer Bowl back in, what
>was it?....1968?

Mean 'ol Kevin in VT can't argue with you there.  See, not so mean after
all!

>From: "Scott Schrade" <schrade@akrobiz.com>
>Subject: Re: Brain on drugs
>
>> Hey Kev     I thouhgt,we went over this before. Do I have to come up
there
>> for a refresher course???
>> Stu in MD.
>
>Oh shit!  Stu in the house!  Nice to "hear" you again, Stu!

CAN.......YOU..........DIG............IT!!!!????? (thinking of movie
TheWarriors)
Stu, I thought you were going to be nice to me????? ;-)
Hey, don't forget to leave the statement you are replying to, so we know
what..........you're replying to (did I just make sense?).

I believe ML had a question for you a few days ago.  What was that ML?
Something about going to a show in 1973?

AND YES!!!!!  You do need to come up here again for a re-fresher!!!!  A
re-fresher of Rum and Cider that is!!!  :-)

Glad you made it.  The damn clipping and deleting can be a pain.  But at
least you're not committing that mortal sin of re-posting the previous
digest!  I didn't want you to get hollered at right out of the gate! ;-)

>From: Space_Whokee@webtv.net (Iggy Dustmop)
>Subject: Re: Keith Moon e-group
>
>Besides, not all of us ARE grown up you nimwit. I've got seven years
>before I'm even leagal in the states. Alot of the people on my lists are
>younger people, the youngest being eleven or so, and I don't want the
>whole world on my ass for having a shity list. I haven't had a shity
>list yet and i dont fucking need one. The Who were not outright nasty to
>their fans, unlike some people here *hint hint*, and neither am I or (I
>hope) the people on my lists.
>
>If you care to give me more shit about my rules, go right ahead.
>~~Alex~

Ahhhhh, practicing what you preach, eh???

Kevin in VT