White dopes on Punk; Influenceness

>So does it really matter any more how old a musician is?

LB:

In regard to having a hit single or getting excitement going, I'd say Yes.

>I think she hinting that it's a woman's list.

>As a whole, I'd put Rush ahead of The Ramones, for what ever that's worth.

Kevin:

Not a big Ramones fan either, despite my love of Punk they were too dumb on
purpose if you know what I mean...but they were VERY influencial, so I'd
have to reverse that. Besides, they did a great version of Substitute.

>Are you familiar with other acoustic performers?  Any discussion?

Keets:

Let's just hope he doesn't turn into a Craig Chaquico (formerly lead
guitarist for Jefferson Starship, now doing lame New Age guitar albums).

>1)  Once I chose my band, I could not admit that another could be in the
>same league.  My mind had to shut.  It is still shut 20 years later.

Jeff:

It's not that your mind is shut, but rather that there is no other band in
the same league. There just isn't.

>No!  Leaman got caught smoking in the bathroom again!

Scott:

I don't smoke cigarettes. I don't like Brownsville Station either.

>Alice In Chains?  Soundgarden?  Eeeeeeeeewwww!!!  My god,
>man, seek help!

I strongly suggest you listen to the AIC Unplugged CD. It's damned good! And
then there's Facelift, which is a great album...but Unplugged might be a
good place for you to start.

>OK, I'll go out on a limb & give y'all a chance to get a few shots
>in on me.  I love The DOORS.

The Doors were great until the booze caught up with Jim, so Morrison Hotel
is flawed and LA Woman their weakest album. Sadly, since it was their last
album. Much like The Beatles and Let It Be.

>If you care to give me more shit about my rules, go right ahead.

Alex:

Wash your keyboard out with soap, young lady!

>I think this is quite true from the standpoint of a punker like yourself.
> I mean that in the nicest way

Jeff:

I have said I'm more of a punk than anything else. Billy Idol and I are the
same age, for instance. But my hair is just now starting to get white in a
few places, and it only stands straight up when I read someone saying Rush
is in the same league with The Who...

> MG is the root of all modern punk.

MG is the root of all Rock, as opposed to the Rock N Roll which existed
until then. Before MG, it was all based on Blues and R&B, after it was
"anything goes."

>For the sake of discussion let me throw out another explanation for this
>dividing line:  AOR was starting because of technological, business and
>artistic reasons that had little to do with The Who.

I'm not saying it's the sole reason, but perhaps the main reason or at least
the thing that triggered it. And remember, it has more to do with the
influence on musicians, not businessmen.

>Crossroads (Robert Johnson recording circa 193?)

It didn't come out in 1965.

>Elvis (any of the Sun singles)

Ditto.

>I Wanna Hold Your Hand

Listen to the Beach Boys. There's little difference between early Beatles
and early BB, and the BB were there first. The Beatles' early stuff was
influential for one reason: they were so popular other bands naturally
imitated them in order to be successful. Musically had to wait until the
Rubber Soul / Revolver period and beyond.

"I do remain confident in Linda. She'll make a fine labor secretary.
     From what I've read in the press accounts, she's perfectly qualified."
                     George "this administration will obey the law" Bush

                             Cheers                        ML