Re: The Who and two Rush's; Progress?

Mark R. Leaman wrote:

>to reason that those of us who are drawn to The Who’s
>musicianship might also enjoy Geddy Lee’s bass
playing >or Neil Peart’s drumming?

>No. There is no parallel. One is inspired and
>original, the other by the book.

I really don't think so. Let's throw an example: one
might say that Marillion was an early-Genesis rip-off.
Yeah, their two first albuns are heavily relied on
Peter Gabriel's Genesis style. But Rush? Their first
album is very Led/Who-ish, but what made the band
famous was the style developed when Peart joined the
band, and I really don't know any band before them
that made albuns similar to, say, Hemispheres. I don't
think it's fair to say that rush is merely "by the
book". They isn't. If one is better or not, that's
just a matter of taste. I still think that their
styles, and even the individual members styles just
can't be compared.
I just love Keith Moon, Bill Bruford and Neil Peart's
drumming. But it's impossible to say that one's better
than the others. Their styles are just too different.