that same buzz

Toby said:  "What about this thread?... What artists do you now listen to
that give you some of the same buzz you got from The Who?"

Sure!  Nothing gives me the same buzz as The Who but I'm always looking.
There is no other group who has the same synergy.

I did enjoy OCS when the opened for The Who in '96.  Quite Who-like.

I like your description of the difference of music with feeling and music
played with technical expertise.  I seem to be fairly alone in this in
Who-land, but I really love electric blues players who play with raw
feeling.  That ability has been described as 'channelling' - when the artist
opens up their soul and lets it pour out through their instrument.  Of
course, they could be faking:-)  The electric guitar is particularly
well-suited for this purpose.  I like Stevie Ray Vaughan, Buddy Guy, Jimi
Hendrix, Clapton (sometimes), Albert King and Albert Collins.  Muddy Waters
was able to do the same thing with his voice.  This type of playing goes
back to the great jazz improvisers.

Rock-wise, I've always found Joe Strummer to be an expressive player and
singer.  He is no technician, but he does pour himself out in a way that
really speaks to me.

The great thing about The Who (w/ Moon) is that they all were able to play
this way which gave the jams that feeling of controlled chaos.  There really
is no substitue (sorry Zak).

Jeff