Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V7 #350

Oh puh-leez…..While I much prefer The Who to Rush, I think it is a bit
presumptuous to suggest that Rush fans only give a "surface listen" to the
music and that EVERYONE accepts that the "The Who are easily the superior
band."  The Who are my favorite band and Rush is more of a second tier group
for me, but I have seen Rush several times and would go see them again any
time they tour.  A few years ago I was on a Rush list similar to this one and
I can assure you that the Rush fans do not merely give a "surface listen."
On the contrary, they scrutinize every beat, note and lyric more than anyone
else I’ve read.  A close friend of mine who has a rather impressive and
exhaustive Who collection and has seen them many times, including several
long distance treks, ranks Rush as high or higher than The Who for himself.
The Rush fans also generally tend have more respect for The Who than I’ve
seen Rush get here.  There seems to be a certain strain of Who fans who are
strangely contemptuous of some generally respectable rock bands (Zeppelin,
Sabbath, Rush, Stones, Floyd, etc.…).  With all the crappy "Boy Bands"
dominating the scene, these seem like peculiar "enemies."  Does it not stand
to reason that those of us who are drawn to The Who’s musicianship might also
enjoy Geddy Lee’s bass playing or Neil Peart’s drumming?  I agree that Who
fans generally have high standards, buy Geddy is a good bass player, Alex is
a good guitarist, Neil is a good drummer and a clever,  intelligent lyricist.
 In a Who vs. Rush decision it has less to do with standards than merely
preference.

….And then trying to draw absolute parallels between band loyalty and
political preference is a spurious notion.  I can certainly appreciate that
someone might prefer one candidate to another (though why people feel
compelled to preach about that here is beyond me…), but I cannot understand
how anyone can see one candidate as a saint and another  so contemptible to
go around grumbling about it so much.  I have been fairly content under
Bush’s governorship (although I voted for Harry Browne).  Why is it so
incomprehensible to vote for the guy who will "leave you alone the most?"  Al
Gore’s first act as VP was to cast the tie-breaking vote in the senate in
favor of the largest tax increase in the nation’s history.  I don’t recall
favoring bigger government and higher taxes as being a prerequisite for being
a Who fan.

Mikey

<< I've been thinking about it, and to me it seems that Bush is like (the
band)
 Rush and Gore is like The Who. Some people think there's little difference,
 but only if they give a surface listen and no more...some think Rush
 provides depth and intelligence in their music, but the more intellectual
 music fans see The Who as the clear winner here. Rush is generally more well
 known and you hear their music on the radio more...but it's accepted The Who
 are easily the superior band. The Who inspires and Rush was inspired. The
 Who have contributed greatly to Rock music, and Rush has made a lot of money
 with Rock music.
 I guess it has to do with one's standards. >>