Wal-Mart approved Who material

>They were a part of the project until the final director came on board.  He
>didn't want any songs for fear that "The Iron Man" would look like a
typical
>Disney kids movie.

Brian:

It does look like a typical Disney movie, and there's nothing wrong with
that. However, if anything I'd imagine Pete's songs would distance it from
being seen as such. His songs are so different than any Disney ones. Except
maybe Fast Food.

>Yeah.  The most vocal complaintant was Sean Whoooooo, who was on this list
>briefly.  He seriously did not like Pete's guitar sound.  Folks complain

Keets:

It's hard to believe. I mean, Pete's sound was raw, fresh, and the best I've
heard it in years. As I've noted before, as the years went by the guitar
took a lessor role...until in FD it's almost nonexistent. Nice to hear it
back again.

>And how to deal with it, right?  But actually TED are talented folks, and
>they can do other stuff, as well.  Do you get that same feeling from Pete
>Townshend solo?

Yes. I think The Who's music has been adult since the beginning, and this is
one thing that sets it apart from Beatles and Stones music. What's more
adult, Dizzy Miss Lizzie or A Legal Matter?

>well as with adults, and he's broken into the children's animation market

You'll notice I'm not cheering this turn of events.

>with VANPIRES.  Roger plays surprisingly well to children, too, as you can

Acting is one thing, music another.

>There are advantages to the family entertainment market.

But why should I want my favorite songwriter to take the easy way out? I
mean, why doesn't The Who just go Blues like so many other Classic Rock
artists have? Easy, easy...when did they ever take the easy road? Do you
want them to? I don't. One thing I like about Townshend's songs is they
engage my intellect.

>What did you think of VANPIRES?

I thought it was OK for what it was, better than The Rock (but most anything
is) but not as good as Rigor Mortis Sets In. Which wasn't great.

>I think that one's in work.  What next?  Lifehouse?  I'd love to see that
>one done with a treatment similar to QUAD the movie.

Not me. I'd like to see it done like 2001.

>Good kid's literature and music is not necessarily about kids.  How about
>a musical version of "Cat in the Hat"?

Jeff:

I have one word for you: Rosie. So you want Rosie doing Townshend material
next? How about Kathie Lee? OK then.

>If Pete (with or without The Who) puts something together that is
>fantastic on its own terms, shouldn't we applaud even though it's nothing
>like Tommy, LAL, Quad and WN?

Of course, but only if it's fantastic. If he does mediocre, it'll be a
crime.

    "I appreciate that question because I, in the state of Texas,
       had heard a lot of discussion about a faith-based initiative
            eroding the important bridge between church and state."
                     George "I don't get it" Bush

               Cheers                 ML