I'm a sensation! (that's for sure) :-)

Hi everybody,

This is way too wierd and very funny. :-)

Today was judgement day for me. The audition for Tommy.

Well, it went totally different then what I expected. I had heard that the
rights for Tommy (the musical) where bought up by Joop van den Ende here in
a The Netherlands (a big name in musicals), and since this guy was in no
way connected to this musical (as far as I could tell), I thought this
would be just a small production... Heck this was the airforce band. I
wasn't expecting something huge and broadway style...

So I got to the place to do the audition. The room was filled with people.
Some of them said; "Don't I know you from somewhere? Didn't you play in
Miss Saigon?". Nope, that wasn't me. There was guys that had been in dozens
of musicals and girls that where from the ballet school... But I was
thinking I could blow them away with my powerful voice. :-)

As the add said they where looking for SINGERS and DANCERS. Dancers had to
dance at 2 PM and singers had to sing at 11 AM. NOT! It appeared you had to
sing AND dance... Noooooo waaaay!!! So I was in the dressing room with some
other guys stretching and I was thinking: "F*CK!!!". And then a camera crew
came storming in. Apparently a Dutch program ("Kaap de Goede Hoop") where
doing an item on "dissapointments" and where filming the audition. The
other guys in the room shrieked (what is it with boys that do musicals?)
and I told the camera crew to shoot me while I'm dancing, that would be an
excellent dissapointment.
I got interviewed and what got out of it was that I was about the only one
that wasn't a professional singer or dancer. Why did they invite me to come
sing and dance then?

And so it was. I was standing in a ballet room with mirrors and all... And
a choreographer that flew in from the States and was connected to Joop van
den Ende (sounds more and more like and OFFICIAL broadway piece to me!).
And we had to do the official dance to "Sensation". It went pretty OK...
For my standards... Pretty horrible compared to the others. Amazing thing
was that I made it through! Without kissing the choreographers ass! (which
is what some others did) He wanted to hear me sing... So I had to wait.
Talked with the camera guys for a bit and the other guys and girls that
where auditioning. I was feeling an outsider for sure... "I could've sworn
you where in Miss Saigon!". :-)

So I finally got to sing. I did alright. I did "I'm Free" and I had a great
backing track (thanks Richard!). Which was good because their piano player
sucked big time. So I sang the lungs out of my body and did a very powerful
and soaring version. Looking at the long table with people in front of me I
saw 2 of them with smiles on their faces (obviously enjoying my
performance) and the rest just watching like "uhhh... uh...". Just watching
me like "what the heck is this?". I still don't know if that is either
positive or negative. :-)

When I was finished (I was almost the last one) the leading guy said: "Well
Bjorn, thank you very much, here's your CD and goodbye.". I was thinking...
Should I call you or would you call me? :-) I think I took the subtle hint
and I know I didn't get through... Well, maybe I didn't get the lead part
in Tommy, but I am starring in a great documentary on TV about
disappointments and failures. OH JOY! :-) And it's WHO-related! :-)

Well, maybe some of you will be able to see me on television and see my
whole audition (and my disappointment). :-) So maybe I'll become a star
after all. :-) I just look at this as way too funny. I really wouldn't want
to be a small part of this big broadway thing. I don't really like Broadway
stuff... It's so false. Yuck... But what I did like is the documentary
about disappointments. That really made my day. :-) At least I got the
leading role THERE. (which thrills me even more then the musical Tommy!)

Cheers,

Bjørn Ciggaar
http://www.warande.net/~ciggaar

"You're all fucking stupid!"